Hey Everyone , Some months ago (On Fathers Day ) I decided to treat my sweet daddy with a tasty cheesecake. Here I have modified my Mom’s recipe in order to be fit enough for my dad who is extremely diet conscious and loves to keep his sugar intake in check 🙂 .This cheesecake is made from mango, one of his favorite fruits,also this is 100% suitable for vegetarians and is gelatin free.While making this preferably use Alphonso mangoes(oops !! wrong season for Alphonso mangoes 😛 but you could also use those packed purees that are available in the market ) as they really enhance the taste.This is my first cheesecake I have ever made in my life and it had to be without baking 😛 My whole family enjoyed this cake just as they enjoy my mommy’s recipe . Hope you guys too enjoy reading this post just as I enjoyed savoring it some months ago :p .
So lets get started with an easy step by step tutorial…but first let’s check out the ingredients …
Serves Approx 6-7 people.
1) For crust:- 160 grams digestive biscuits(I have used McVities Digestive biscuits) or any other less sweet biscuits , 200 grams low fat butter(i have used Nutralite table spread)
2)For filling:- 160 gm (1 cup) fine sugar or powdered sugar or 20-30 grams artificial sweetener(I have used SugerFree Natura). You can read about the benefits of using this as a substitute for sugar HERE.
800 gm (3 cups) thick full cream yogurt
400 gm (2 cups) paneer cheese or cottage cheese*
375ml (1 1/2 cups) water
10 gm China Grass or Agar Agar or Kanten**
2 mangoes (1 cup), peeled, chopped and pureed
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
PS:- * If using cottage cheese make sure the water is completely drained and the cheese is dry to get a perfectly set cheesecake. Try and use paneer cheese blended into a puree for this recipe.
** China grass is a completely vegetarian substitute for gelatin and gives a smooth glossy finish to any dessert.It sets easily even at room temperature hence one must be quick while using this.
3)for glaze:- 1 mango (1/2 cup), peeled, chopped and pureed
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp lime juice
Before we begin the actual process, place about 800 grams of regular thick cream yogurt in a washcloth and allow to drain overnight so that we are left with half the quantity which is about 400 grams of just thick cream.
Step 1 :-
Place all the biscuits in a sealed plastic bag (Ziploc) and with a rolling pin beat until the biscuits are powdered. Once this is done put the biscuits in a large mixing bowl. Put in the butter(normal salted or low fat) and with the help of a pastry blender or with your hands rub the butter into the biscuits until the mixture is well mixed.Since digestive biscuits are really crumbly they are easier to work with hence we need not use a food processor or anything. Remove the mixture and press it evenly into the base of an 8” deep round spring-form pan or any pan with a removable bottom or a 9” regular round pan. Chill in the freezer for 15 minutes or in the refrigerator for half an hour.
PS: Since my spring-form pan gave way at a very unfortunate time I had to use a normal glass baking tray 😦
- Break the china grass into small pieces and soak in 1 1/2 cups water for about 10 minutes until it becomes soft.
- In a food processor fitted with the metal blade or blender, place the strained yogurt, paneer cheese or cottage cheese and the sugar (or artificial sweetener-SugarFree Natura) and process until smooth and creamy. Transfer this to a mixing bowl, stir in the vanilla extract and mix well with a whisk.
- In a saucepan, heat the mango puree over a medium flame. Do not allow this to boil.
- In another saucepan place the china grass and water mixture and stir on low heat until it melts completely. This can take about 10 minutes. Do not allow this to boil.
- After the china grass melts completely, pour the hot china grass solution into the hot mango puree, stirring all the while.(do this really quickly as china grass tends to set very fast).
- Slowly add the mango mixture into the yogurt and cheese mixture and beat well with a whisk until well blended.
Pour this mixture over the prepared crust, level with a spoon and chill in the refrigerator for about an hour. Allow the cheesecake to set for an hour or so before spreading the glaze over it.
Place all the ingredients for the glaze in a saucepan and cook over medium heat. When it begins to boil, reduce the flame and cook for 3 to 4 minutes more. Allow to come to room temperature and then spread the glaze over the cheesecake with a spoon. Allow the glaze to set over the cheesecake for 2 to 3 hours or overnight, before slicing it.
Now you are left with a perfect 3 layer chilled mango cheesecake 😛 yummmmmm
So this is how you get amazing cheesecake with a little healthier twist , do give this a try and let me how it turns out. If you have any queries or doubts do feel free to nudge me….Also since I am not( yet) 😛 a pro baker, do forgive if the images or utensils used were not so professional looking..haha..until next time tc lovelies..